Tuesday Tips - External hard drive

Today's tip is a bit technical, but I'll try and keep it short. I want to share a lesson learned about using an external hard drive with Memory Manager.

Most people already know that photos take up a lot of space on the computer. Those of us who want our photos organized and all in one place usually end up getting an external hard drive. I keep my programs - Memory Manager and Storybook Creator - on my C drive (inside my laptop computer) and store the image files, Storybook projects and templates on my F drive (external hard drive-EHD).

The problem I ran into is that my Seagate EHD has an automatic backup program. That sounded good to me, let it automatically back up everything on my computer and everything will be good, right? But most of my photos were not on my C drive, they were on the EHD. So when the EHD backed up (copied) the C drive - the photos disappeared.

I solved the problem by "explaining" to Memory Manager where to find my files. MM had been looking for photos in the Backup folder on the EHD (which has a copy of the program and some older files I hadn't cleaned out). I had to go to the main menu (click on the little vault in the upper left corner) and change the settings to browse to the separate folder I had created on the EHD to keep all my photos in.

Since my C drive doesn't have enough space for all my photos, the EHD is my main storage, not a backup. I back up the files on a DVD disk.

Comments

Popular Posts